Thursday, March 24, 2016
Every time news about someone leaving the show Criminal Minds erupts, the fandom just go nuts. You would think people would get used to it by now because there's always someone coming and going every year...
This year, one of the OG cast members Shemar Moore is finally moving on from the show, having been there pretty much since the beginning, all those years ago. Which is a shocker to fans (even me) because we're only finding this out recently (apparently it was also teased on his Instagram account, which I wouldn't know because I don't follow the guy there). And the show gave him three episodes for his exit, which is pretty generous, considering how abruptly other people get written out over the show's run.
I personally had never given two hoots about him or his character, but I don't begrudge the guy his popularity amongst the fandom. But knowing the show, we'll be hearing about Morgan's replacement before the new season starts in the fall, because I don't see Matthew Gray Gubler stepping in as BAU's resident muscle man :P
I haven't seen Morgan's last episode myself yet, but from what I've read about it, it seems like a decent send off for a longtime cast member. And at least he wasn't killed off..?
Friday, March 18, 2016
After almost a year since the yuuggge crossover/backdoor pilot from last season's Criminal Minds, their second attempt at a Criminal Minds franchise finally got started, and that was Criminal Minds: Beyond Borders.
As to be expected, they made some cast changes in the months between the backdoor pilot and this pilot - Anna Gunn got cut, Annie Funke and Alana De La Garza got added... There would be a revolt if Daniel Henney got cut, so thankfully for everyone he's still on the show.
- Of everyone from the mothership show, they could only get Joe Mantegna to cameo in the first five minutes of the show? Okay, then.
- Wait, so IRT is also based out of Virginia like the BAU, right?
- I know it's a calculated move on their part that Simmons's first appearance on screen be him doing that obstacle course :P
- There's something about Daniel Henney that doesn't convince me that his character is a father of four young children. Too well rested, perhaps?
- If you thought the BAU's private jet was fancy, the IRT's jet is so MASSIVE and IMPRESSIVE that they can transport both a bike and a SUV in there O.o
- More jet scenes please!
- Did they get their Thailand B-roll from The Amazing Race, existing stock footage, or did they shoot their own B-roll?
- Their "Thailand" set is clearly some dressed up backlot - there's something about the sky that clearly does not look like Thailand AT ALL.
- I suppose if I was Mae, I would rather get on the back of the bike with Simmons in the rain than to ride in the SUV to be a lamp post between the boss-man and Clara :P
- You have to admit that Monty has a tough time, what with having to deal with victims' families AND still be the black, male Garcia of Beyond Borders.
- Dumb question: What does one do with a challenge coin?
The pilot was, IMO, rough, borderline cringeworthy to watch, but that's more to do with the writing than the performances. My inner sucker will keep watching to see if it gets better.
Tuesday, March 1, 2016
You have to give them props for finding ways to shave time off the notoriously long Academy Awards telecast - by having the (what I call) the Thank You ticker (because that's how acceptance speeches get so long) and what not. Two and a half hours from 3, 4 hours is a slight improvement, I must say.
- If there's a dress code for these things, Jenny Beavan sure didn't give two shits about it, by not just being in pants, but in a bedazzled LEATHER JACKET too. Thumbs up from me.
- Lady Gaga took the skirt off her dress when she performed. Two-fer.
- The little presenter blurbs was handy, I suppose... if you ever wondered what their previous work was.
- All the ladies (of a certain age) in their prompter-reading glasses.
- Why is Sarah Silverman there? Just to present? Was Michael Sheen her plus-one? There's a shot of them in the audience where she (wearing a strapless gown) was wearing his jacket. D'awww....!!
- Was wondering why Priyanka Chopra was at the Oscars, and then I remembered that both her and the Oscars are on ABC.
- The Chinese kid accountant bit is still funnier than dragging ACTUAL accountants on stage for their 15 seconds of fame.
- DID Dev Patel comes to the Oscars looking like that on purpose, or is it for a role in the Castaway sequel?
- Poor Sly Stallone? Not really - I, for one, am glad Mark Rylance won for Bridge of Spies. But I think people will come up to him and say "Would it help?" for the rest of his days.
- Chrissy Teigen must up her cringe game.
- Besides little Jacob Tremblay, who else was excited that the droids made an appearance?
- The Girl Scout cookie sale is definitely a step up from Ellen's weird pizza delivery skit two years ago.
- Yup, poor Abe Vigoda (among others) didn't make the cut-off for the In Memoriam montage.