Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Imam Muda

It's sad that I have to find out about Imam Muda from the foreign press when I could have tuned into the Astro Oasis (Channel 106; the Muslim channel, or the VERY Muslim-y Hallmark Channel). But there's only so much TV that one can watch in a week. Even then, I keep forgetting to tune in.
When I finally did remember to tune in, it was the episode where they were tested on what is halal and haram in terms of animal slaughtering. I now know the motions of the neck slice (in theory), but not the prayer that goes with it. Somehow knowing that the McDs here is halal is comforting - I don't think I'll find anything unsavoury in my McNuggets anytime soon.

Imam Muda basically a "reality" talent show for to find the ultimate "young religious leader" out of the 10 male contestants of varying backgrounds. They're schooled and tested on both their skills and knowledge on a weekly basis. There's also the 5 minute capsule shows where the lessons and such are broadcasted, but I personally can't be bothered, I just stick to the main show, which is when the eliminations are done. The winner gets a pilgrimage trip, car, etc and a job in one of mosques in KL.

I'm really surprised that no one's come up with this sooner (not the reality show genre, but the idea of Muslim leaders). The one thing I like is that there's NO PUBLIC VOTE (according to the BBC News piece on the show).

As a non-Muslim watching, I thought it's engaging enough. Learnt some things. Some of the racists I know could stand to learn a thing or two. 

I also just found out that you can watch the show on YouTube - just plug in the name of the show in the search bar. I think some of the later episodes come with English subtitles as well, which is handy because the show is in Malay; and I need help with some of the regional dialects and some of the religious terms I was not familiar with.

No comments:

Post a Comment