Saturday, July 10, 2010

Work of Art: The Next Great Artist

Been catching up on the new Bravo reality competition show, Work of Art: The Next Great Artist because I'm a sucker that way. And I've also already seen both Shear Genius and Top Design, so what the hey - I'm about as conversant about art as I am about hair styling or interior design :P

In the Bravo trend of having non-American born hosts, this show is hosted by China Chow, another woman I'm not familiar with and the last time I looked, is not American (born). I don't even want to get started on the name, so I will resist the urge. Her credentials for being both the host and judge was that she "grew up around art". Oh-kay.

At least the rest of the judging panel are FROM the art world - gallery owner, gallerist (whatever that means) and art critic. And also the Tim Gunn-like guru figure, Simon de Pury.

I think the only reason why they bother green lighting the show is because Sarah Jessica Parker's an executive producer. She made an appearance once in the premiere for the slight ratings boost. Let's start a tally of the appearances.

China's "axe phrase": "Your work of art didn't work for us" - ouch. It's a bit cheesy, that's all I got. But it's not like the rest of the elimination spiel was any better.

I'm not sure how they're gonna pick the "best" artist in this beaten-to-death format, but I'll be watching to see how they do it. I'm not even sure if they'll finish the season to get picked up for another. Oh well.

No comments:

Post a Comment