Monday, March 14, 2011

America's Next Great Restaurant

Saw the pilot of America's Next Great Restaurant. Twenty semifinalists fly to LA to pitch their concepts to the judgvestors (I'm calling dibs on this portmanteau - it's faster than typing judges/investors) and also to cook samples from their menus for a place in the Top 10. 

The top prize is not too shabby - financial backing from the judgvestors to open restaurants in LA, New York and Minneapolis in several weeks, which is two more restaurants than usual. If the show feels familiar, it's produced by the same people behind Top Chef, except this show is on NBC and primarily hosted by Bobby Flay.
  • Didn't know the founder of Chipotle is a skinny white dude. You learn something new each day.
  • Some of the finalists' ideas are admittedly pretty stupid, so much so I totally forgot what they were even though I just saw it. Were those seriously the best ideas the producers found in the auditions?
  • They had the racist wing dude in for the drama - he wasn't going to go that far.
  • Minneapolis for the Midwestern market? Chicago would've been TOO obvious, I suppose.
  • Having the judgvestors use their own money is a great incentive for them to pick the right winner. I'm sure they won't give a damn if it wasn't their money. 
  • I didn't know Curtis Stone had money to invest in someone's restaurant :P
  • I have no idea why Curtis Stone is a judgvestor on this show. Apparently, neither does he. HAHA.
  • The Soupz lady was hilarious, and the cartoon voice helped that along its way.

I'd keep watching just because I'm such a reality show junkie.

No comments:

Post a Comment