Monday, April 9, 2012

Scandal (ABC)

When I saw the pilot of the new show Scandal, I almost did not believe that the woman who created both Grey's Anatomy and Private Practice came up with this show, but it is quintessentially a Shonda Rhimes show. I think I saw the same preview clip everyone saw online a long while when it was announced last year and didn't think too much of it. I knew that it had something to do with crisis management. I also don't love or hate Kerry Washington particularly, so I'm not emotionally invested.

I have not read too much about the show since the announcement so I totally forgot about it until the premiere last week. But I didn't know that Olivia Pope was based on a real person


I like that they opened the pilot with a fast-paced job interview for the new recruit (aka audience proxy) at a crowded bar and how quickly everyone and what they do at Olivia Pope and Associates are introduced in the first 15 minutes. It felt like a heist movie, in terms of speed and mood. 

It's a show with lawyers that don't actually practice law, but are into crisis management or what people call "fixers". Well, calling it Olivia Pope and Associates would not give anyone the idea that they're a crisis management firm. Just saying.

I had to watch the first 15 minutes twice, especially to catch what was said. I suppose it's a good thing that it's not just another lawyer show with courtroom scenes. I thought Scandal was okay, but I need to see some more before I could objectively say whether it's any good or not.

PS. Am I the only one that thinks Henry Ian Cusick sort of, kind of looks like The Nanny's Mr Sheffield?

No comments:

Post a Comment