Friday, April 6, 2012

Initial impressions of NBC's Awake

I know Awake has been on the air for a few weeks now, but I only just got around to catching up on it. When I first heard buzz about this show, I liked the concept and the premise. A cop living two different realities in the aftermath of his car accident and somehow still closes cases with clues from both living situations to solve the other? Sign me up!

I reveal my age a little when I say that Jason Isaacs for me will always be Lucius Malfoy to me. I just have to get used to seeing his mug sans wig. His (somewhat generic) American accent I can live with.

They made it easier (visually) to tell which world he's in - the wife with the warm tones; the son, the cooler tones. You know, besides the different-coloured rubber bands he's wearing in each. It's also nice to see Steve Harris (of The Practice fame) and Wilmer Valderrama (Fez!), as his partners in the different worlds. Same for BD Wong, which I must say - after playing a shrink on SVU for 12 years, he's now playing a shrink on another NBC show? Really?

Any realist would say that the man is burning out, living two universes like this, then I have to tell myself that it's just a TV show.

I'm not sure how long it'll be before they reveal which one is real and which isn't... or as some online commenter mentioned, he could be in a deep coma the entire time and the whole thing is just a dream.

The pilot was just okay, but I wouldn't discount it just yet. I like the show, I just don't like that it's on NBC, who's track record of show cancellations... I don't want to talk about that.

No comments:

Post a Comment