Sunday, June 5, 2011

Jamie's 30 Minute Meals - Realistic, or no?

Been watching episodes of Jamie's 30 Minute Meals, and all I could think of was Rachael Ray's 30 Minute Meals (I know). I just can't believe it took him this long to get on the 30 minute meal bandwagon. It's also jarring to hear him suggest store-bought, prepacked alternatives after years of him going on about using fresh and natural ingredients.

What I like about the series
  • Some of the tips, techniques and shortcuts that seriously didn't occur to me *D'OH!*
  • His salad and dessert recipes
But seriously...
  • The ingredients - NOT CHEAP and not just because I'm on the other side of the planet.
  • Who has the time and money to equip their kitchen in a similar fashion? Seriously?
  • The cleanup will take more than 30 minutes, I reckon :P
  • Serving a dish on the same chopping board that you've chopped everything else on it? Really?

I read an article somewhere where several home cooks tried to pull off different 30 minute meal from Jamie's companion book to the series, only to fail miserably and take longer than 30 minutes.

I've come to several conclusions about Jamie Oliver's version of 30 Minute Meals - possible only if...
  1. You're Jamie Oliver and/or have the crazy chef-y knife skills 
  2. You really have the prep work done, which can't be fast :P
  3. You got someone else to do the extra washing up - and the food processor and the other appliances he uses on the show need extra cleaning and care, like the garlic press :P
So I won't be crazy enough to buy the book, but goodness knows I already have several Jamie cookbooks that I may never cook out of.

No comments:

Post a Comment